User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Did Valve/Gabe have a falling out with Microsoft?

Battle Record
    7-1

Did Valve/Gabe have a falling out with Microsoft?

It's official Gabe Newell has done an about face. Valve has just announced Portal 2 for the PS3. The outspoken head of the software developer made recent comments about the system, the new announcement, and the partnership with working with Sony.

"I've been pretty outspoken with my comments," said Valve boss Gabe Newell, who added that PS3's open platform means that Portal 2 on PS3 can include Steam Cloud support, thus making it "the best version on any console".

"When the PlayStation 3 was introduced, I was the one of the platform's biggest critics"

"However, Sony Computer Entertainment has proved that the PlayStation 3 is the most open platform of all the current generation consoles and has worked extremely hard to make the platform the most desirable for consumers and developers. As such, we are delighted to announce Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 and believe the Steamworks support included will make it the best console version of the game."

This is certainly a turn of events for Valve as Newell is the guy that can be quoted as saying

"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think it's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted," said Newell. "I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a 'do over.' Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it.'"

Talk about a change of perspective. No Valve titles were mentioned in the Microsoft press conference, in fact no Valve titles were mentioned anywhere other than the PS3 conference. If Sony was ever to secure Valve as an exclusive to the platform that may mark the single biggest crossover in gaming history.

Battle Record
    0-2

Re: Did Valve/Gabe have a falling out with Microso

who here actually likes portal???? i have the first portal for PC...it gets pretty fuckin boring pretty fuckin quick...the best thing about me having it is that it added extra prop's to Garry's Mod for me to fuck with...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock you in the Face Sir Skiddz SoPhrenic's Avatar
    Battle Record
    7-15

Portal was a sick fucking game dude, I cant wait for part 2. Other than that, I remember reading Newell's first comments and knew that he would do an about face soon. It just seems to me that He's a little more sheisty than people believe, since your talking all this bullshit how Left 4 Dead only works on Microsoft and now your saying PS3 has the best version of portal. I think Playstation owners deserve the greatness of Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 and I know it was never an issue with the system itself but a lack of willingness to learn it.

But hey! Now that the Playstation is catching up to everyone else all of a sudden... its a great system
    Hence Forward.. BURR!
    [YOUTUBE]seYxVBIsycE[/YOUTUBE]
    Just watch My Back, I got the front.

Battle Record
    26-5

i dont think he's fallen out with microsoft really

i think he was just ignorant in the first place about the PS3, like skiddz said, he didnt wanna learn, yes it was difficult to develop for but results have shown that if you have talented devs then you can make great games, no matter how difficult the hardware is

and having steam on the ps3? good for consumers...good for valve right?

Rock you in the Face Sir Skiddz SoPhrenic's Avatar
    Battle Record
    7-15

it'll atleast give PS3 owners dedicated servers on the level of XBL where the server argument goes to moot. I think its been a good showing for Sony at E3 so far
    Hence Forward.. BURR!
    [YOUTUBE]seYxVBIsycE[/YOUTUBE]
    Just watch My Back, I got the front.

Battle Record
    0-2

Half-Life 2: Episode 3, was due may 2010.....did he even speak about it??? he announed it in 2008....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.